News from the British Aggregates Association
03 February 2017
- Good news for Harleyford Aggregates and Phil Essex, and for guidance to avoid mineral sterilisation!! Ahead of HS2 they have been granted permission to extract 350Kt of sand and gravel from agricultural land in the Buckinghamshire metropolitan green belt.
- Keeping up with Independent Innovators. 2-page feature article on Glendinnings’ in February Quarry Management
16 December 2016
09 December 2016
- Good News Slot for Harleyford Aggregates and Phil Essex for obtaining an extension to their yellow sand quarry into a wooded area near Newton Abbot, Devon and a revised restoration scheme involving the import of 285Kt of inert waste to restore the site to grassland
02 December 2016
24 November 2016
- Significant Progress in Aggregates Levy Challenge
11 November 2016
John Moore (Tractor Parts)
A very warm welcome to our latest new associate member and to George Duncombe based in Stafford. They are the UKs leading supplier of high quality bucket cutting edge, wear bar, steel plate and general wear parts.
Nature After Minerals (NAM) Programme Manager, Helen BarnardCongratulations again and Helen starts her new job on 5th December.
21 October 2016
- Good News Slot – and Congratulations to BAA member Breedon who scooped the AIM Transaction of the Year Award for their £336M acquisition of Hope Construction Materials - presented by BBC News’ Sophie Raworth to CEO Pat Ward last Thursday (13th).
30 September 2016
BAA Liaison Officer – Trefor Evans
Trefor joins our ranks from October. He is 50, from the Midlands., and has more than 30 years’ experience in the construction materials supply industry including time with RMC, Steetley and Redlands prior to setting up his own aggregates merchanting business in 1991. He started Mirfield Sand and Gravel and ran this as owner operator until closure. He joined BAA as a member, serving on the Executive and Planning Committee, as well as AWP representative.
Trefor was Chairman of the Midlands branch of the IOQ in 2000 and became the youngest FIQ.
In recent years he has specialised in planning matters in the quarrying industry and looks forward to his new role with BAA.
Karsan Ramji & Sons
A very warm welcome to our latest new BAA associate member and to Director, Kishor Varsani. They operate three quarries in Kenya, and are constructing a 700t/d cement plant. They met up with us at Hillhead in June.
23 September 2016
16 September 2016
Good News Slot - Frimstoneopens new rail depot in Cambridge, a 25 year investment to receive Midlands quarried aggregates to service the local construction sector requirements.
Good News slot 2 - Longcliffe Quarries embraces the future with quarry automation system from BAA associate Command Alkon to ensure timely delivery of products whilst reducing the costs of transportation.
02 September 2016
Good News slot - Longcliffe Quarries recently installed a new 70t Metso160 fixed primary jaw crusher. Supply was direct from METSO with installation by Stoke-on Trent quarry engineers Roltech. The project was completed on time and within budget and the crusher is now processing 500tph of limestone, and CSS can be adjusted hydraulically at the push of a button. MD Andy Littler reported, “This was a well-planned & managed accident free exercise which should initially increase throughput by 10%. Well done to all involved including our own guys”.
If any BAA member would like to see the machine in operation they would be very welcome, Contact Andy Littler or Chris Wainwright.
- Good News Slot – Raymond Brown Roke Manor Quarry Nr Romsey – welcomed over 60 visitors from the local community to tour their new state-of-the-art processing plant, enjoy ice creams and the opportunity to sit in an excavator and have their photo taken.
19 August 2016
Good News Slot – BAA Member Yarrows Aggregates have become the 4th business in Yorkshire to join a scheme that aims to raise the bar in the supply of high-quality, accredited materials for the construction and utility sectors.
Congratulations to Raymond Brown Minerals & Recycling on the MBO announced this week.
Also have a look at this 7min video of Raymond Brown Aggregates’ 125Kt/a Roke Manor Quarry.
05 August 2016
- Good News Slot – The 10m high Man Engine ends its 130-mile trek across Cornwall at Geevor Tin Mine in Boscaswell on Saturday (6th)
22 July 2016
01 July 2016
03 June 2016
- Good News Slot – Raymond Browns
welcomes local schoolchildren to their new Hampshire recycling Centre just north of the M27 motorway which processes up to 75,000tpa of non-hazardous commercial and industrial waste.
05 May 2016
22 April 2016
25 March 2016
11 March 2016
26 February 2016
Good News Slot – Two BAA members investing for the future.
Breedon have installed a Terex wash plant to produce a range of aggregates and concrete sand at their multi-disciplined Capo Quarry, near Edzell, Scotland
Cullimores have taken delivery of their first ever super-lightweight alloy body for their trio of new 8x4 tippers in the company’s 50+ HGV fleet.
19 February 2016
12 February 2016
05 February 2016
Good New Slot - Congratulation to Kinegar Quarries on their planning consent from Scottish Borders Council (11th January) for a 30-year extension to their Glenfin Quarry near Cockburnspath with additional consented reserves of +5Mt. Despite initial archaeological officer objections, all 100% of members voted in favour. The Council Chair congratulated Kinegar and the planning team in negotiating agreement on the heritage issues.
29 January 2016
22 January 2016
07 December 2015
04 December 2015
- Good News Slot – and congratulations to Smiths’ of Bletchington who secured planning permission for an extension to their soft sand quarry at Duns Tew in Oxfordshire at a committee meeting on Monday (30th). The application took 4 years from pre-app to decision and had to overcome determined opposition from a small group of local residents - on dust and air quality and alleged observations of great crested newts (GCNs) which had to be resolved with a 2-year licensed trapping programme - no GCNs were found. The permission is for sand extraction and merchanting operations of imported building materials and will extend the life of the quarry for 17 years. The planning work was carried out by BAA associates Heaton Planning.
Just the S106, routeing agreement and potential threat of a JV to sort out
30 October 2015
16 October 2015
- Good News Slot – Smiths of Bletchington. Congratulations on receiving the MPA Planned category award on Wednesday (14th) for their extension to Gill Mill Quarry in West Oxfordshire. The restoration plan includes creation of 120ha of priority habitats, including one of the largest reed beds (60ha) in southern England
- BAA Moves Into Harder Rock
Cloburn Quarry director Paul McManus is presently completing a European tour with rock band GUN and is in England this week – Southampton tonight Friday (16th) and Milton Keynes Saturday. view pdf
09 October 2015
- Good News Slot – Cullimores - Congratulations to Moreton and Roger, not least for perseverance in this lengthy drawn-out (and originally a cross-border) 18ha application to extract some 375Kt over next 3 years near Cirencester with progressive backfill!
- BAA Logo
Members are reminded – and indeed encouraged! – to consider using the BAA logo on their stationery and their websites as many already do. Just ask us for suitable jpeg and pdf copy.
18 September 2015
- 164 - Aggregates Levy - BAA to appeal European Commission decision
20 July 2015
- 163 - Aggregates Association Defends Cartel-Busting Concrete Trucks
09 July 2015
- 162 - BAA Breaks All Attendance Records!
25 June 2015
10 June 2015
02 April 2015
22 October 2014
- 157 - EU Directive Costing Lives
- 156 - BAA Signs up to the campaign for a fundamental reform of the Business Rates System